Thursday, 12 May 2016

Day 13

We arrived in Scarborough late last night. We have had a rest day today and have explored the town and managed to find the dog friendly part of the beach which a certain lady loved and romped up and down.

When I started this blog I was asked to be honest - well here goes...
We had had a wonderful stay in Wells and had decided to move on on Tuesday morning. You can only get in and out at high tide as it is a drying port. We awoke to a drizzly rain. " I can try my new oilies" I said! It was a little windy,cold and wet. We had just got out, put the sails up and started off. The sea was lumpy. I looked at Paul and said "I don't think I can stand 10 hours of this" I had no choice as we couldn't get back in at Wells. By now I was also feeling a little queasy. Paul fed me a couple of Sturgeon and suggested I helm. This I did and began to feel better. We sailed across the Wash - not that we saw it as it was very misty. We then entered the Humber estuary and made for Grimsby. You have to lock in and out of Grimsby. They have a "free flow" window when you can enter and leave without locking in and out and 4 hours either side you can lock in for a fee. We decided that this would be a good option ad we were cold wet and tired. We managed to book a slot and waited to be called. Then the lock gates developed a fault! It was a further 2 hours before we got in! Humber Cruising Association found us a berth, welcomed us to their club and recommended an Indian takeaway that would deliver! It was very good.

We left the following morning heading for Scarborough another long day ahead of us and again windy and misty. We had just got past Spurn Head put the sails up and it became more windy. I was on the helm. I didn't like it. Paul offered to helm but I knew I had to do it. I was very proud if myself for doing so. These last couple of days have not been my sort if sailing and at times been unpleasant and yes I do wonder why I do it.
Having said that when rounding Flamborough Head I see these small black and white birds with a colourful beak and realise that they are Puffins in the wild it makes up for it.
I have been so fortunate to see Herons, seals, puffins and Gannets and some marvellous coastline (when it is not misty!)
Will post photos when I have a better Internet connection.










3 comments:

  1. Hi Guys and Jaz! Peter and I have thoroughly loved reading your blog so far..keep up the good work! The pics look lovely, look forward to reading and seeing more of your adventures. Oh Sarah feel for you, a rough sea is not my idea of fun either! but well done for persevering. Glad you are seeing lots of wild sea life...safe sailing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Scarborough. I have been catching up with your blog. It looks like you are half way up the east coast already! Well done! Hopefully you are now infor a rest or better conditions. All the best and see you both soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel when it comes to the queasiness Sarah, feel for you. Love Erika xxx

    ReplyDelete