Friday, 17 June 2016

Day 46

We awoke to a wonderful morning. All was calm and beautifully sunny. I suggested that it may be a good day to go to Fingals Cave on Staffa. For this we had to go around the top of Mull and come back down the other side.




We could see Skye in the distance and the island of Coll.


We rounded the top of Mull and started to make our way down the other side. We could see the Treshnish Islands in the distance. I was keen to get as close as possible as I had heard that Puffins were there in the summer months. We got close and I did see the odd puffin but none to photo.




We made our way to Staffa and as usual the wind got up – doesn’t it always! Anyway we got close enough for me to see the famous caves that inspired Felix Mendelssohn to write the Hebrides Overture. What was amazing was the hexagonal columns of basalt rock that form the caves.




We then decided to go to an anchorage just off the Ross of Mull a place called Tinkers Hole. We continued south and then went down the Sound of Iona between Iona and the Ross of Mull.
Tinkers Hole was a delightful anchorage a lovely pool of clear water. Again we had hoped for walks but found rough terrain. A peaceful night was had.





Trying to post a video! - here goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment